Scientific Conference Abstract Scholarship
For Associate and Full Members wishing to present their work at international scientific meetings.
AMI offers the opportunity for its members to apply, on a competitive basis, for financial assistance in support of travel to conferences and associated scientific meetings that are consistent with the organisation’s objectives. The Scientific Conference Abstract Scholarship is open to Associate and Full Members of Applied Microbiology International.
The primary purpose of the scholarship is to enable researchers to present their work at international scientific meetings. The grant is intended to cover reasonable travel, travel insurance, subsistence costs and conference fees as necessary.
The Scientific Conference Abstract Scholarship has no age limits but is primarily aimed at early career scientists studying applied microbiology or working in the field.
The maximum individual grant is £2500. Further funding from other societies can be sourced by the individual if more substantial costs are involved, but this information MUST be provided on the application.
- Applicants must be an existing Associate or Full Member of Applied Microbiology International.
- The applicant must have at least one full year of membership history prior to submitting their application, and must not have lapsed on their membership at the time of application.
- A successful applicant cannot re-apply to the Scientific Conference Abstract Scholarship for 3 years from the date of application. Preference will be given to members who have not previously received this award.
- Applicants must contribute to the conference they are attending via poster or oral presentation and must display the logo of Applied Microbiology International on any presentation.
- Any additional funding applied for, or awarded, must be declared on the application and will be taken into consideration when the final claim for reimbursement is made.
What AMI offers
- The maximum amount available for the grant is £2,500, which will cover conference registration fees, accommodation (where it is not provided with the event), visa applications, poster-printing charges (up to a maximum of £40) and reasonable travel costs. Taxi fares will only be paid for if pre-approved BEFORE the event. Applicants may be required to fund other items of expenditure themselves. There will be ONE reimbursement of payment made, which will be for the total claim.
- For events where meals are not provided, meals may be claimed at a maximum rate of £30.00 per day. You may ONLY claim for the number of days of the conference plus one day e.g. for an event lasting 4 days you may claim 5 × £30. Although receipts for sustenance costs are NOT required, payment is not automatic. Please indicate on the claim form the number of days you are claiming for.
How we assess your application
Scientific Conference Abstract Scholarships are allocated on a competitive basis and in relation to the funds available. The award of this grant is at sole discretion of the Grants Award Panel. The Grants Award Panel’s decision is final, and we are not able to enter into dialogue about our evaluation process. However, members are free to apply again.
- Applications are assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- The level of contribution to the conference (poster or oral presentation)
- The level of grant support previously received from AMI
- The value of the conference to the applicant.
Terms & Conditions
- Payment will be made retrospectively after the event. The applicant must complete an expense claim form which is provided by Applied Microbiology International. This must be received by us within 6 weeks of the event, along with all relevant ORIGINAL receipts to support the claim. This should also include a copy of the attendance certificate. No payment will be made without this documentation.
- Applied Microbiology International should be acknowledged in presentations and our logo should be visible on poster presentations
- Applicants must provide a testimonial report of at least 500 words demonstrating how the grant has helped with their career development within 6 weeks of event completion with their claim form. No payment will be made without this article.
- In submitting the application, all applicants agree to reimburse the Society for any costs they may incur, should the applicant fail to attend the event or notify the Society of their inability to attend the event within 14 days of the start of the meeting.
- Reimbursement of expenses will be made as a single bank transfer directly into an appropriate bank account, normally in GB pounds sterling, euro or US/Canadian/Australian dollars. Under NO circumstances will intermediary banks be used.
How to apply
- To submit an application, please log in to your account and click the “Apply Now” button to complete the application form.
- Applicants must clearly explain why they are applying for this grant, how it will benefit their research and any contribution they are making to the meeting.
- Applicants must upload a copy of their abstract and their abstract acceptance letter. (If the acceptance is not yet available this can follow but awards will be subject to evidence of acceptance being provided prior to the event).
- Applications from members who are students must be supported by their supervisor(s). Applications that are not supported will be automatically rejected.
- Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application within six weeks of its submission.
In 2022, Applied Microbiology International funded the following members to disseminate novel word class research and promote innovations in applied microbiology on an international stage:
Ainsley Beaton: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Alicia Showering: 3rd Asia Skin Microbiome Congress, Singapore
Amake Awany: 80th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, Spain
Andrew Crombie: Gordon Research Conference, USA
Beatrice Bottura: EuroBioFilms 2022, Spain
Caterina Guzmán-Verri: Brucellosis 2022 International Research Conference, Italy
Chiedu Edoamodu: ASM Microbe, USA
Chioma Chikere: Europe 32nd annual meeting, Denmark
Cynthia Adaku Chilaka: 3rd Joint African Society of Mycotoxicology & MYTOX-SOUTH Conference, South Africa
Eniola Oni: 3rd Joint African Society of Mycotoxicology & MYTOX-SOUTH Conference, South Africa
Faith Ukachukwu: 22nd International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference (IPNC) 2022, South Africa
Gunaraj Dhungana: Viruses of Microbes 2022, Portugal
Hasan Yesilkaya: FEMS Conference on Microbiology 2022, Serbia
Jack Horne: EGU General Assembly 2022, Austria
Jacob Hamilton: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Jake Newitt: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
James Forsythe: International Conference on Arabidopsis Research (ICAR) 2022, UK
Katie Noble: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Kelly-Rose O'Reilly: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Kolawole Banwo: International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) 2022 Conference USA
Liam Reynolds: ASM Microbe, USA
Louisa Perry: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Marc Dumont: 18th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME18), Switzerland
Matthew Kelbrick: 18th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME18), Switzerland
Mojisola Owoseni: 34th Annual conference of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE), Greece
Natalie Barratt: 18th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME18), Switzerland
Niamh Martin: ASM Microbe, USA
Nkechi Egbe: ASM Microbe, USA
Nonso Nnolim: FEBS-IUBMB-ENABLE Conference, Spain
Olufeyikemi Adeleke: The Novel Approaches Against Emerging Antimicrobial Resistance, Canada
Onyetugo Amadi: British Yeast Group 2022, UK
Ovinuchi Ejiohuo: SfAM ECS Symposium, UK
Paola Scavone: EuroBioFilms 2022, Spain
Precious Owuamalam: The Complex Life of RNA EMBO/EMBL Symposium, Germany
Rebecca Devine: International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes, Canada
Ross Duncan: EuroBioFilms 2022, Spain
Simms Adu: Biosurfactants 2022 International Conference, Germany
Suhad Al-Salihi: The Chemistry and Biology of Natural Products Symposium XV & Directing Biosynthesis VI, UK
Supram Hosuru Subramanya: ASM Microbe, USA
Tayo Kayode-Isola: ASM Microbe, USA
Thomas Thompson: EuroBioFilms 2022, Spain
Ugochukwu Anieto: ASM Microbe, USA
Wadzani Dauda: The British Society for Plant Pathology (BSPP) Presidential Meeting, UK
Weijie Zhou: Microbiology Society Annual Conference, UK
William Davis-Birch: ASM Microbe, USA