New Lecturer Research Grant
This grant is designed to support the research of newly appointed lecturers, investigators, assistant professors, and assistant researchers in sustainable applied microbiology. This grant aims to pump-prime innovative microbiological research that aligns with AMI's strategic goals, particularly focusing on contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs).
- New lecturers in their first permanent academic appointment in a higher education institute.
- Open to current AMI Full or Associate members with a minimum of 13 months continuous active membership.
- Not previously awarded a major research grant (£30,000+) from other sources.
- Not previously received this award
- Preference for projects demonstrating potential for significant societal or environmental impact.
Grant Details and Financial Support:
- Funding of up to £10,000 for successful applicants to support the initiation or enhancement of research projects.
- Payments will be made to the individual’s institution only.
- Claims for reimbursement should be made every 3–4 months and be completed within 24 months from the project start date. Claims made after this period will NOT be paid.
- A comprehensive research proposal aligned with sustainable applied microbiology.
- Alignment with AMI’s strategic objectives and the UNSDGs.
- Potential for innovative research in sustainable applied microbiology.
- Academic merit and feasibility of the proposed research project.
- Submission of progress reports and final outcomes of the research.
- Expectation to submit findings in at least one paper to Sustainable Microbiology (SMI). The successful candidate will be eligible to receive one automatic waiver for Article Publication Charges (APCs) for this.
- Engagement with AMI output – e.g. a webinar or The Microbiologist article
- Acknowledgment of AMI's support in any publications or presentations resulting from the research.
- Periodical claims should be made by invoice and include a breakdown of costs and all relevant receipts.
- Application deadline: 30th April annually.
Maximise your chances of a successful grant application by reading the full evaluation criteria used by the panel
Please log in to view this grant application form.