Scientific Event Travel Grant
Applied Microbiology International (AMI) offers the Scientific Event Travel Grant, designed to support members attending local and international scientific events such as conferences, symposia, workshops, training courses and meetings that advance the field of applied microbiology. This grant aims to foster knowledge exchange, networking opportunities, and professional development within the wider applied microbiology community.
This grant can be used to attend the following events:
- LAM ECS Research Symposium 2024, Bristol UK
- Environmental Microbiology: Microbes as Safeguards of the Environment Workshop, Baeza Spain
- Microbial Strategies for Sustainable Soils, Las Vegas Nevada USA
- Viruses of Microbes (VOM) UK
- Viruses of Microbes (VOM) Cairns
- Molecular Microbial Ecology Group 2024
- Open to associate and full members, focusing on researchers at an early stage in their career, PhD students, and those without independent funding.
- A minimum of 13 months of continuous and active AMI membership required.
- Preference given to those presenting at the event, whether it be a paper, poster, or other forms of active participation.
- Previous recipients of AMI funding within the last 12 months are ineligible.
- The event must be on AMI's pre-approved list, ensuring alignment with AMI's strategic goals. The option for “other” will also be given on the application form to capture all relevant events.
Grant Details and Financial Support:
- The grant provides full or partial financial support, with a maximum award of £1,200.
- Intended to assist with or cover essential expenses such as travel, visa, and accommodation for AMI approved external events.
- Applicants should be prepared to contribute or secure additional funding, as the grant may not cover all expenses.
- Priority will be given to those presenting papers or posters, early-career researchers, and members from lower income countries.
- Can be used in conjunction with other grants.
- Proposal (500 words max) explaining the event's relevance and expected benefits.
- Detailed budget breakdown with justifications for each expense.
- Applicants must submit proof of event acceptance and their participation details with their application, or before travel if not yet available.
- For student applicants - a supporting letter from a supervisor or department head.
- Relevance of the event to the applicant’s career development and contributions to their scientific field.
- Quality and impact of the applicant’s participation in the event.
- Evaluation of financial need and justification for the support requested.
- Preference will be given to members who have not previously received this award.
Budgeting and Justification:
- Detailed budget required, excluding travel insurance costs.
- Description of how applicants plan to fund the remaining costs, including personal funds, institutional support, or other scholarships.
- Acknowledge AMI’s support in all conference presentations and materials.
- AMI claim form, all relevant receipts and certificate/proof of attendance must be submitted within six weeks of the event.
- Submission of a comprehensive report and photographs, detailing experiences and learning, should be included with your claim document within six weeks after the event.
- This grant will be assessed at four deadlines throughout the year:
- 1 March
- 1 June
- 1 September
- 1 December
Maximise your chances of a successful grant application by reading the full evaluation criteria used by the panel
Please log in to view this grant application form.