Professional Development Support Grant
The Professional Development Support Grant aims to enhance the professional growth and skills of applied microbiologists. This grant facilitates participation in key developmental activities such as attending relevant conferences, workshops, training courses and scientific meetings. It supports scientists in acquiring new knowledge, learning innovative techniques, and connecting with peers in the field. The focus is on empowering microbiologists to stay updated with current research trends, foster meaningful collaborations, and apply new learnings in their respective areas of work.
- Open to current AMI Full or Associate members with a minimum of 13 months continuous active membership.
- Members whose applications have been previously successful are eligible to reapply once every three years.
- Unsuccessful applicants are welcome to reapply in subsequent application periods.
- This grant is highly competitive, with availability limited to three awards per year, split between two application periods.
Grant Details and Financial Support:
- Maximum award: Up to £2,000 per applicant, intended to cover reasonable travel, accommodation, and registration fees.
- Subsistence costs and personal expenses are not included.
- Outlining the uniqueness of the activity and the main reason for attending including any anticipated benefits for the individual and their organisation, if relevant.
- A recommendation letter from a supervisor (or manager), detailing any additional funding sought or obtained.
- Applications will be evaluated based on the relevance of the activity to the applicant's professional development and the potential impact on their career in applied microbiology.
- Grant recipients are required to submit an article suitable for publication in The Microbiologist, highlighting their experience, insights, and future career plans.
- AMI claim form, all relevant receipts and certificate/proof of attendance must be submitted within six weeks of the activity.
- Deadlines for application submissions are March 15 and September 15.
- Applicants will be notified of the decision within four weeks after each deadline.
Please log in to view this grant application form.